You know you shouldn’t be working on the computer all night and expect that you’ll go right to sleep, right? Even so, it has to be done so what’s an over active-minded insomniac to do in order to get those valuable Zs before the morning alarm bell?
A proven sure-fire method is to use breathing techniques to relax the body and mind. There are plenty of methods but an easy one to use is known as the 4-7-8 technique.
- Find a comfortable place to relax.
- Close your eyes. You will need to focus on your breath.
- Exhale slowly to begin and exhale all air from your lungs. Place your lips like you are blowing the flame of a candle to make it flicker but not go out.
- Close your lips and inhale slowly on a count of 4 seconds. Your lungs should be full after that 4 seconds.
- Hold that breath for a count of 7 seconds.
- Exhale again slowly taking an entire 8 seconds to exhale all of the air from your lungs.
- Repeat the 4-7-8 technique for about 6 times or more if needed.
You will feel relieved with a proper amount of oxygenated blood and ready for a good night’s rest.